Christmas catastrophe’s – how to avoid them!
It’s Christmas……… To some it’s the most wonderful time of the year, but it doesn’t come without pitfalls for those of us who suffer from back pain!
The British Christmas Tree Growers Association (BCTGA) sells approximately 8 to 10 million Christmas trees per year, that’s a lot of lights and decorations!
Putting up Christmas decorations can be a challenging task if you have back problems and many of us do not realise how much pain it can cause if it is done wrong!
Here are 5 helpful tips to protect your spine whilst decorating your house this Christmas:
Correct positioning is key when lifting Christmas decorations
Whether you have an artificial or real tree, proper lifting techniques are essential for protecting your spine from injury whilst bringing it into the house or down from the loft, this is equally true for those boxes of baubles and other decorations that you have stored away!
- Lift with your knees and keep your back straight.
- Don’t lean forward or even backwards whilst carrying heavy loads.
- Avoid bending or twisting to the side when trying to reach or lift something.
In short – think before you twist, bend or lift!
- Use a ladder or stepladder to help you reach high areas this will prevent you from overextending and pulling on muscles in ways that could leave you in pain!
- Position your ladder properly – a poorly angled ladder could lead to a fall that could injure or exacerbate you back pain.
- Always have someone at the bottom of the ladder to help stabilise it and keep it from moving.
In short – position your ladder correctly!
Don’t go solo
- Enlist the help of family or friends. This can make decorating the tree much more fun for everyone involved and shares the workload!
- If you are worried that a certain task is going to be too much for your back, ask for help. This can help prevent any injuries.
In short – enlist some help!
Place Christmas decorations on a table
- Before you start, place your baubles and ornaments on a table or work surface, this will stop you from constantly bending into boxes and overworking your back!
In short – be bauble smart!
Take regular breaks
- It is important to take breaks, this allows the body to release any tension or stress that may build up and gives it a chance to rest.
- If you experience pain – stop! Continuing could lead to further injury or pain.
- Remember that all the decorating doesn’t need to be done in one day, do it in chunks over the course of a few days.
In short – break up the duties – Rome wasn’t built in a day!
Happy, pain-free decorating, however, if you find yourself in a bit of bother with your spine, we at Heale’s Clinics are here to help!
If you would like some further information or to speak to a member of our team please call us on: Hitchin 01462 420077 or Luton 01582 579687, alternatively e-mail us at: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com